There are four versions found in Massachusetts: Baccarat, Chemin De Fer, Mini Baccarat and Midi Baccarat.
Playing with the facts is your best strategy.
Baccarat is not played against the dealer. You bet on three possible outcomes: A Player Bet, a Banker Bet or a Tie Bet.
- If you make a Player Bet, you win if the Player’s Hand is greater than the Banker’s Hand
- A Banker Bet is the opposite of the Player Bet. You win if the Banker’s Hand is greater than the Player’s Hand
- A Player or Banker bet will push if the hands tie. That means you get your bet back
- You can also bet that the Player’s Hand and Banker’s Had will be a tie. This Tie Bet pays 8 to 1
It’s more fun if you know what you’re doing.
- Once bets are placed, two cards are dealt to both the Player and the Banker
- Tens, Jacks, Queens and Kings count as 0. Aces count as 1. All other cards count as their shown value
- A point count is determined by adding the two cards. If the total is a two-digit number, then the first digit is dropped (i.e. a value total of 12 would have a point count of 2)
- If either the Player’s or the Banker’s point count adds up to 8 or 9, this is a Natural and the round ends
- Depending on the cards on the table, a third card is sometimes dealt to the Player and/or Banker
It’s James Bond’s favorite game, so be sure to play with impeccable manners.
- Know which version of the game you’re playing. Different games come with different rules
- Conversation is allowed at the table, but players should be considerate
- If you’re dealing the cards, don’t delay the game
Luck isn’t for you. Luck isn’t against you. Luck just doesn’t care.
- A winning wager made on the Player’s Hand is paid at 1 to 1
- A winning wager made on the Banker’s Hand is paid at 1 to 1, but because the Banker’s Hand is slightly more likely to win, the House may collect up to a 5% commission on these wagers
- A winning Tie wager is paid at odds of at least 8 to 1
Know the game. Play on your terms.
Curator: In some baccarat versions, this is the player responsible for dealing the cards
Natural: A hand that has a Point Count of 8 or 9 on the first two cards dealt
Vigorish: Up to a 5% commission taken by the House on winning bets on the Banker’s Hand on most versions of Baccarat