Baccarat is a game of chance in which you place a bet on which of two hands, the “Player” or the “Banker,” will end up a higher point total - or a tie.
Playing with the facts is your best strategy.
Baccarat is not played against the dealer. You bet on three possible outcomes: A Player Bet, a Banker Bet or a Tie Bet.
- If you make a Player Bet, you win if the Player’s Hand is greater than the Banker’s Hand
- A Banker Bet is the opposite of the Player Bet. You win if the Banker’s Hand is greater than the Player’s Hand
- A Player or Banker bet will push if the hands tie. That means you get your bet back
- You can also bet that the Player’s Hand and Banker’s Had will be a tie.
It’s more fun if you know what you’re doing.
- Place your bet on the Player Hand, the Banker Hand, or a Tie.
- Once bets are placed, two cards are dealt to both the Player and the Banker.
- A point count is determined by adding the two cards. If the total is a two-digit number, then the first digit is dropped. For example, a value total of 12 would have a point total of 2).
- If either the Player or the Banker Hand is 8 or 9, this is called a ‘natural’ and the round ends.
- If the Player’s first two cards total 0 to 5, the Player Hand gets a third card. If the Player total is 6 or 7, it does not get a third card.
- If the Player did not receive a third card: The Banker gets a third card if its first two cards totalled 0 to 5. The Banker stands on 6 and 7.
- If the Player did receive a third card: The Banker’s Hand gets a third card based on the following table:
|Banker takes a third
card if the Player’s third
|0, 1 or 2||Any card|
|3||Not an 8|
|4||2 through 7|
|5||4 through 7|
|6||6 or 7|
It’s James Bond’s favorite game, so be sure to play with impeccable manners.
- In Chemin de Fer, the participant offering to bet the most becomes the Banker and is responsible for dealing the cards. That person must bet on the Banker Hand. Don’t delay the game if dealing.
- In Midibaccarat, the participant betting the most on either hand announces the point total for that hand. Speak clearly.
- In standard baccarat, squeezing or folding your cards can be a fun ritual, but you can’t change the odds of winning.
- In mini-baccarat, participants are not permitted to touch the cards.
Luck isn’t for you. Luck isn’t against you. Luck just doesn’t care.
- A winning wager made on the Player’s Hand is paid at 1 to 1
- A winning wager made on the Banker’s Hand is paid at 1 to 1, but because the Banker’s Hand is slightly more likely to win, the House may collect up to a 5% commission on these wagers
- A winning Tie wager is paid at odds of at least 8 to 1
Know the game. Play on your terms.
Curator: In some baccarat versions, this is the player responsible for dealing the cards
Natural: A hand that has a Point Count of 8 or 9 on the first two cards dealt
Vigorish: Up to a 5% commission taken by the House on winning bets on the Banker’s Hand on most versions of Baccarat